Monday 28 November 2011

The Blueberry Smoothie Incident

edited to take part in yeah write #42

A true life example of how chaos can descend on my existence.
Setting: our small dining kitchen.We are having a relatively peaceful family meal, just prior to my wife having to leave for work. I am left to do the washing up, there are dirty plates, glasses, saucepans everywhere - the place looks like a bombs hit it.

I get ready to start cleaning up and my wife comes in with her jacket on and takes up the remaining work-top space, writing a shopping list for later. At the same time my daughter (who is blessed with "perfect" timing, we suspect on purpose) decides she's going to make a blueberry smoothie. I have a natural instinct for spotting trouble and intervene by shouting at her to be patient and to wait until her mum is out of the way.

However, my daughter proceeds to close the kitchen door, then opens the fridge and takes out the punnet of blueberries anyway. In a split second I realise she has the punnet up-side down and before I can do anything, the blueberries are all over the floor. I instinctively shout "no-body move" like I'm in some cop show and start trying to clear some of the debris before people start standing on them.

Incidentally, these were no ordinary blueberries but Finest Organic, £3.99 per punnet blueberries, that I only bought because my prodigal daughter doesn't eat normal day to day fruit, like apples or bananas. In fact the blueberries were the cheaper option compared to her other choice of cherries. I mean have you seen the price of cherries lately? .....Sorry, I digress.

Anyway;- My wife, (who's running late by this time) is becoming increasingly annoyed at being held up and like some twist of fate, my son tries to enter the kitchen at the same time. Of course we shout at him not to come in, and he over-reacts and starts having a meltdown in the hall.

I clear up most of the blueberries and my wife escapes out the door and heads off to work. By this time my daughter has the blender and ice cream out and then asks me for a yoghurt. I go to the fridge and realise the yoghurts are at the back, underneath a boxed pizza, which also has yesterdays roast beef and a left-over slice of cheesecake balanced on it.

I manage to find a corner of the table free to place these items on, while I get the yoghurt out for her. Meanwhile my son, who has came out of his meltdown asks me for ice-cream. I snap at him that I have my hands full and as I turn around quickly to put the cheesecake back in the fridge, it slides off the plate and lands upside down on the floor. Arrrrgggghhhhhh ! ****

So now I have to clear up all the dishes, cooking pots, a blender, the remaining bloody expensive organic blueberries, a quarter of a toffee cheesecake which my daughter has just stood on .......and I still have an upset (autistic) 9 year old demanding ice-cream in his special bowl that I can already see is on the worktop beside the sink waiting to be washed.
God, give me strength !

21 comments:

  1. Oh bad luck, I can just picture the scene!! Hope the day got better for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did thanks, just one of many though lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would have had a meltdown too..glad your day improved

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably shouldn't have laughed but it does all sound quite comical and not unlike a sketch from Tom and Jerry! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Its great you laughed - that was the intention ;-) - I'm glad you liked this one. T&J definately !

      Delete
  5. Wow! Welcome to my everyday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes, could anything else go wrong? I hope things got better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope it was cathartic to share. The ridiculousness of it all made me giggle because those are the "ordinary" moments of parenting. A day with complete bliss and ease is something to record in the baby book. -Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see why you call this blog "bottle in front of me." I enjoyed reading this post because I love reading anything that unfolds like a movie in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes you can tell its just going to be one of those days. Like today when my 2 year old woke up 2.5 hours before his usual time. Just have to try to make it through to the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Calgon ... take me away!!!!"

    That's a reference to an old commercial. Calgon is a bubble bath product. Anyway... I hope things have settled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I remember those days. Now the kids just dash in and leave before I even see them. And still leave a mess!
    Deep breaths....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just had that blueberry thing happen too! Those suckers roll into all the nooks and crannies. This was an awesomely hysterically written post...and one I could thoroughly relate to. Thanks for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can totally see this scene in my mind. Total chaos! Hope you got it all taken care of and then put your feet up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks to everyone for your kind comments !

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so well-written. I felt like I was there. I think I would have given up, left the kitchen to the kids and gone to bed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you too, I am so pleased it reached a bigger audience who know the feeling !

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL, this is hilarious! This happens to me all the time and it often starts with blueberries...suspicious little fruit that they are...and yes, cherries are ridiculously expensive!

    ReplyDelete